Monday, October 12, 2009

What My Cat Has Taught Me About Life


After a recent trip to visit my family in California, my mom showed me a book she had picked up especially for me: What My Cat Taught Me About Life by Niki Anderson

Author Niki Anderson offers a witty account of life in the eyes of our favorite feline friends. This book gives the reader little gems of personal meditations, real-life cat stories, little-known cat facts, and kitty wisdom.

As I flipped through the book, I couldn’t help but wonder what my own cat had taught me about life. Bootsie, my 14-year old long-haired tuxedo, is a diva in all sense of the word. Her big emerald eyes can definitely get her point across and if that doesn’t work, she’ll let you know her opinion with a soprano-like meow you just can’t ignore. Although her attitude may have given her a diva reputation, she’s never failed to be there for me through the most important points in my life. Meeting me at the door when I came home from my first day of junior high. Sitting on the bathroom counter while I got ready for my prom. Chasing my computer mouse while I filled out college applications. The most cherished moments in my life will always share a thought with Bootsie. She has taught me to keep calm and collected in times of stress, but never be afraid to take a swipe at anyone who might try to bring me down. She’s taught me that naps in the sunlight are great and that my mom’s old quilt is the best thing to sleep on. She’s taught me that looks can be deceiving and to always give people the benefit of the doubt. She’s taught me that patience is truly a virtue and the best friends are the ones who will be there for you through anything.

I loved this book. I’d definitely recommend it for any cat lover who may need reminding just how much our cats (and all pets) teach us about life.

-Brianne Olsen
Promotions Director

No comments:

Post a Comment