Thursday, July 29, 2010

I hate events -- but I love my job.


Hello! My name is Danielle Slaughter and I am the Fundraising and Event Director for NMHPU. The first thing you should know about me is that I hate events and I hate asking people for money. Before I came to NMHPU, I always worked hands-on with animals, as a wildlife rehabilitator and a veterinary technician -- up close and personal and never behind a desk. When I took this position, I suddenly had to focus on raising funds and reaching budget goals. I had to direct and participate in major events upon whose success the raising of thousands of dollars depended. And, in some cases, the saving of hundreds of animal lives.

Despite that, I love my job. I love it because, through my time here, I’ve come to see how vital sufficient funding is to the success of our life-saving programs, which are the reason for our existence. If we don’t have enough money, we can’t help as many people spay & neuter their pets for free or low cost, we can’t help save as many feral cats, we can’t rescue as many dogs and cats from the euthanasia lists of shelters, we can’t hold super adoptions (which allow hundreds of homeless pets to be seen by hundreds of potential adopters over three-day weekends), and we can’t operate the Big Fix and the Utah County Spay & Neuter Clinic.

Over the years, it’s become easier for me to manage events and monitor budgets and attempt to raise money. It’s easier because in everything I do, no matter how uncomfortable the task, I keep in mind that I’m doing it to achieve our mission: to end the euthanasia of homeless dogs and cats statewide and to promote humane alternatives for feral cats. And I am rewarded for my efforts when I see homeless dogs and cats going home with their new, loving families. When I see how many people and animals our Feral Fix and Free Fix programs are helping. When I see the statistics that prove our efforts are helping to raise adoption numbers and lower euthanasia numbers in Utah. And, of course, when I get to work with all of the incredible people in our state who give their hearts and souls every day to save dogs and cats.

Danielle Slaughter
Fundraising and Event Director

1 comment:

  1. Hehe..... looks like you have some pressing business in your 'in box'.

    ReplyDelete