Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Meet Daye Abbott, Feral Fix Director!


Hi all, I am Daye Abbott, the Feral Fix Director. I have only been with No More Homeless Pets in Utah since September 2008, but I have worked with NMHPU and CAWS (Community Animal Welfare Society) as a volunteer for many years. I truly appreciate all the wonderful things both organizations do to help the animals in our community.

I have had dogs and cats in my life ever since I can remember. We lived in Garland, a small rural Utah community, and for the most part our dogs and cats lived outside when I was young. The cats moused, and the dogs kept strangers away. That was what was considered their job. They were well fed, and had the enclosed back porch for their home. I look back at that now and think how terrible. I would not allow that type of life for my dogs or cats now. Then I have to stop and realize that my thought process has changed because I have been educated in the proper care and treatment of animals. It was not a quick process, it took years and a lot of mistakes. But that is how humans learn and grow. We all need to remember we are educators, and it is not about how many dogs or cats we care for and adopt out to wonderful homes. It is also about how many people we talk to and enlighten, so that they start that learning process to change their perspective of how they think and feel about animals. Remember, everyday is a chance to help someone new learn and grow. Good Luck.

1 comment:

  1. I would truly love to do this kind of work full time. Any tips on how to get started?

    ReplyDelete